The COVID pandemic continues to keep many employees working remotely from home. Moving large data sets continues to push the capacity of edge networks, especially WANs and home networks. In response, Resilio has added a number of new capabilities—including a new Resilio Connect Proxy—to make life easier for employees of data-intensive global enterprises.
Building on the 2.10 release, Resilio Connect 2.12 simplifies work from home and working with external partners in support of business-to-business (B2B) data transfers, remote collaboration, and other use cases. Users have more control over where their personal data resides. Administrators have more control and less work managing user connections.
Resilo 2.12 expands product capabilities to meet the demand for moving large data sets quickly, within, across, and among diverse networks–for organizations, partners, employees, and external contractors. Moreover, through a new firewall friendly proxy capability, administrators can more easily and centrally control and manage port assignments for Resilio Connect.
Option to Limit User Access
Resilio Connect administrators now have the ability to provide end-users with the option to limit access from Resilio agents to a subset of their file systems. In some cases, Resilio Connect agents may be running on machines where end users would like to separate their private data from corporate data. For example, if one company is using Resilio Connect to share data with another company, users in both companies are now able to more easily isolate users’ private data from company data.
This limited user agent capability is useful for reasons such as:
- Security – Users have the option to block Resilio Connect from accessing sensitive areas of their file system. For example, areas where users keep personal information.
- Data privacy – Users may need to keep their personal data separate from corporate data during data transfers.
- Storage management – Users are able to self-manage free space and choose where to store their projects.
- 3rd-party and B2B data transfers – Securely sharing data across organizations and with external contractors is easier. This ensures data privacy end-to-end.
Isolating Traffic via the New Proxy Server
Resilio customers asked for more flexibility in using Connect behind firewalls to support remote workers and other data sharing use cases involving firewalls. Resilio now offers a Resilio Connect Proxy to simplify and centralize port assignments within customers’ demilitarized zones (DMZs). The Proxy can be deployed within a DMZ or behind any firewall.
The new Proxy capability matches security teams requirements to support working with external partners, temporary contractors, and remote employees. This improves security by isolating inbound traffic from data transfers. No data is stored on the Proxy. The Proxy simply allows customers to configure outbound connections and use a single IP address behind the corporate firewall. This greatly simplifies the lives of administrators when supporting users with continuously changing IP addresses. Now companies can more easily support remote work situations and a diversity of firewall configurations and best practices.
Other benefits of the Resilio Connect Proxy include:
- Improved flexibility and simplicity through centralized port assignment and management.
- Low footprint, software-only installation for simplified deployment and easy configuration.
- Supports popular firewalls and load balancing technologies.
- Flexible deployment model to support your company’s specific security requirements.
Script Blocking on Remote Systems
Another improvement is the ability to control programmatic access of specific systems. In B2B data exchange scenarios, for example, customers from one company may have or require a different policy for running scripts on their machines from another company. The ability to block scripts will extend the security on machines and limit the need for administrator intervention.
More Data Storage Flexibility
Users may need the ability to choose where their data will be stored for a variety of file transfer and synchronization jobs. Through a new capability for easy path selection, users are able to select a custom path to use local or network-attached storage without involving your company’s administrators.
- Administrators save time by delegating storage management to users.
- End-users are able to more easily manage free space and data. Users have the flexibility to use network storage, map networking drives, or use local storage.
- Simplifies B2B use cases – If an Administrator from one organization shares data with another company, this simplifies configuring the storage location for the external partner company.
This can be configured by job under the “Direct Path” dialogue in “Edit Target Path”.